Monday, March 10, 2008

Mailam : Temple Town

Mailam: One way of cooking up an RLT, admits PRINCE FREDERICK

CONFESSION. WHEN I suggested Mailam as an RLT, the idea was greeted with a reaction that lay somewhere between deep scepticism and sheer derision. "Why Mailam?" asked my disbelieving colleagues. "RLTs are supposed to cover tourist places, not temples." Having spotted the place on the tourist map (marked by a man with a backpack), I was convinced that there was more to Mailam than the temple. "What about the fabulous scenery?" I shot back, silencing my colleagues. In my head, I pictured rolling hills, a freshwater lake and some other natural features, which add up to a good RLT.

REALITY. As I near Mailam, I discover the distressing truth. Mailam is a one temple town. The temple is situated on a hillock but the surrounding area is as flat as a pancake and the only water I can see is packaged in bottles in the numerous shops that lead to the temple.

STRATAGEM. This poses a problem. Will the powers-that-be allow me to publish Mailam as an RLT? Perhaps, they will if I write this as a confessional. So, having crossed my fingers, here goes.

The Mailam Murugan temple is located 15 km from Tindivanam, on a small hill on the slopes of which are a number of houses and an institute dedicated to the development of Tamil language and literature.

According to legend, it was here that Murugan rid a celestial being of a long-standing curse he `earned' from Shiva for dereliction of duty. Once cleansed of the curse, the being requested Murugan to grace this place with his presence. Murugan acceded. And so he has resided in Mailam (which derives its name from Murugan's vehicle, the Mayil or peacock) assuming his bridegroom form (Kalyana Kolam), along with Valli and Devasena. Many more interesting stories and beliefs unfold as I get a temple worker to interpret the iconography for me.

As I climb the steps leading to the temple, which is cool and ringed by trees, I learn from an elderly woman who strikes up a conversation that "the deity is also known to bless the childless with children". She seems to wonder why I am here when I tell her I am unmarried.

So, to return to the original question. Is there really more to Mailam than

Mailam? In a way, yes there is. It is just 10 km away from Tiruvakkarai, the fossil forest that was featured in an earlier RLT.

Together, they could comprise a neat tourist package, the twin experiences can be taken in during the course of a day. At least that's what I am telling the powers-that-be who will decide on the fate of this RLT.

Courtesy: http://www.hindu.com/mp/2004/08/07/stories/2004080700050100.htm

No comments: